Sunday, September 30, 2012

"The bitter and the sweet"

Well, I am into my second round of chemotherapy.  I guess it shouldn't come as a surprise that things get harder as you go along. I guess I remember it being that way last time.

Last night was a hard night.  I was super tired and fell asleep around 7:00 pm.  I finally found my way to bed around 9:00.  By about 11:00 my stomach was churning like crazy.  Sweet JoLynne, in her wheelchair, was trying so hard to take care of me.  She got up and found the anti-nausea medicine and a "barf bowl"  I swallowed the medicine but promptly threw up.  We tried that a few times and then just kind of dealt with it.  By the time morning came around there was really nothing left to throw up and my stomach had started to settle.  Finally I was able to get to sleep.  I feel bad that I messed up JoLynne's night as well.  I was grateful that JoLynne had texted the Stake President the night before and excused me from meetings.  I was in no shape to be out.

In contrast to that, Shanelle and Mike brought by our granddaughter and let us babysit Saturday evening.  Little Vivian is so sweet!  It sure doesn't take any time at all to become attached to her.   I wasn't feeling the best but she didn't care, she just snuggled right up to me and fell asleep with me.  Sometimes when I am on chemo I have anxiety as well.  With that sweet little girl next to me I could just feel the anxiety leave my body.  What a blessing she is in our lives already.  I am grateful for her.

9 comments:

  1. Sweetest picture ever. What a good Grandpa you are!!! Vivian is so cute... we love her too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eric I am so sorry you are suffering. Not fair! I am so sad to hear this but so glad your found your pacifier in baby Vivian. I hope you are on your way to a speedy recovery. Loves to Jolynne.

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a precious picture!! I love you and I'm praying for you!! Many hugs to you all. <3
    Candace Burch

    ReplyDelete
  4. How precious. Bless you and JoLynne both. Godspeed. You are in our prayers. Nancy Dyer and family

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this picture. Grandchildren are the best. I am SO sorry to see you suffering again! We pray for you daily!
    Love, Kent and Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Babies are truly gifts of love. (especially when they are asleep and snuggly). We also pray for you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Eric and JoLynne for your examples, couage and kindness. Through these difficult times I pray you may feel Gods love and be comforted and strengthened.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vogel Family, I am always so inspired by your amazing faith, you all inspire me to be a better person, thank you! Lisa Burr

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love you all and am always thinking of and praying for you! You are such an inspiration to me, I can only hope that Heavenly Father will bless you through my prayers in ways that I can't hope to. Love always, Megan

    ReplyDelete