Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Poco a poco se anda lejos

Well, starting with my title.  One of my favorite sayings that I often heard on my mission in Bolivia.    Translated it means, "Little by little one can walk a long ways."   I feel like I have walked a long way.  Hopefully this cancer journey is nearing it's completion soon with a happy ending.

Yesterday was another doctors visit for me.  They took out all of my stitches and the staples in my head.  The incision on my scalp went all the way from my right ear  almost to my left ear.  Honestly, I don't even want to know what they had peeled off while I was sleeping.

It feels good to have the staples gone.  They were annoying.  They are still nervous about my leg.  It was such a wide incision.  I know that the flap on my face is over 3 inches wide in one place.  That means that the incision on my leg had to be that wide.  That's kind of freaky too.  They covered my leg with a ton of steri-strips after the stitches came out and told me to be careful about walking too much.  They don't want it to open and neither do I.

We talked with Dr. Marx for a few minutes.  He is the nicest guy.  He is quite famous among oral surgeons but you would never know it by talking to him.  He is just really down to earth and unpretentious.  He got us a copy of the pathology report done by University of Miami.  We still haven't seen the report from Baylor.  Anyway, the report goes site by site sampled.  Many of them had no cancer.  Of those that did have cancer most showed 50-60% of the cancer cells were dead.  That is good.  Both Dr. Marx and the microvascular surgeon, Dr. Tunsin, encouraged us to get back to Houston soon and have more T-cell therapy.  In their words, "We have given you a beautiful blood supply to that area to help the T-cells get access and we have removed nearly all the cancer.  Now if ever is the time to hit it."  I think that they feel that we need to act before the tumor has a chance to re-grow.  Needless to say, we feel the same way.

In the meantime, every day is a gift.  I am grateful for every one.

14 comments:

  1. All I have to say is...AWESOME! Pray all goes according to the plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave. You have been such a true friend. I appreciate you.

      Delete
  2. Every day I want to tell you I love you. Every single day I say it. I hope you fell it. You are such an amazing person, and so is your amazing wife. I am so lucky to call you family!!!! Love you so much :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lois, you and I are connected as family and so much more. I love you too.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the update! We're pulling for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Weldon. I appreciate all of your prayers on our behalf.

      Delete
  4. So proud of you going through all of this with an incredible attitude & hope!! Go get that cancer, Uncle Eric!! You got this!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Candace, my wonderful niece. I don't know why I love your comment so much. I keep coming back to it and reading it over and over. "You got this" were words I have heard so many times at the end of a long marathon. When I thought I had nothing left to give, hearing those words seemed to lift my feet and push me forward. Thanks Candace. I needed that.

      Delete
  5. Hope those steri-strips are super strong! That is quite the wound! This is all so interesting what you are going through. Thank you for sharing your journey with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It kind of looks like a railroad track. If I hear a train coming down my leg that would really be surprising.

      Delete
  6. This is good news on you're post surgery. As for cancer cells, hit'em while they're down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AMEN! Normally I try to be compassionate but not when it comes to cancer cells who are in my body.

      Delete
  7. Dr. Vogel,

    I took your predental class at BYU in 2011. I don't know you well but I remember being tremendously impressed with you as a person. I appreciate the effort that you put into that program. It helped solidify my decision to attend dental school, which has already blessed my life in many ways. I don't know why but I thought of you the other day and googled your name. I stumbled across this blog and couldn't stop reading. Wow! I am truly in awe of your example of faith and good humor while facing adversity that I can barely imagine. Thank you for sharing your incredible and inspiring story. Today you are in my thoughts and my prayers. Best wishes - I pray for your speedy recovery!

    Daniel Fenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Daniel, I remember you! Wow that has been a while. It is strange to think that back in 2011 this stupid cancer was just waiting to show it's ugly face. These last four years have been quite a journey. Thank you of your prayers in my behalf. I hope that you will be blessed in your life as well.

      Delete