Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Super powers...YES!

Well, it was a busy day yesterday. So busy I had no time to post a blog. Pretty much we ran from doctor to doctor all day. I think perhaps it is better to simply run from doctors. Funny I should say that. I wonder how many have thought that when they saw my name on their calendar. Anyway, the coolest thing today was that they filled my veins with radioactive isotopes. The syringe was really big and I shouldn't have looked but I did on accident. I really wish I had taken a picture but that would have been awkward. I asked the guy if I was going to get any super powers or anything. The people in Minnesota are super nice but they are kind of stoic. He just looked at me and said, "My guess is that you'll just grow another toe or something" Dang it! I'm still hoping for something better. He's just a technician, I'm pretty sure he doesn't know about all this stuff. I'm just going to spend most of my time thinking about how I am going to hide my secret identity from JoLynne. I think I will hide my suit under the bed. She never looks there.

The reports from our biopsy were still not back on Tuesday. That was bad. The good news is that when the doctor called them they said that they were having a hard time putting a name on the tumor but it seemed "benign like" but that they weren't willing to call it benign yet. That is a miracle and an answer to prayers. Almost nobody has said the "b word" till now. We like the sound of it. It wouldn't alter the surgery but would greatly improve the chances of not spreading and might keep me from having to have radiation afterwards. It's too early to know all of that but it is something nice to hope for. Everything is a go for surgery on Monday. We plan on traveling home Wednesday night and spending a few days with our kids. I am hoping to get two days of work in there and a doctors visit or so. (It's amazing how addictive those can become). We will fly back out on Sunday and be here two weeks. We are planning to return home on October 31, just in time for Halloween. Were pretty sure that this year I am dressing as Frankenstein and JoLynne is going to be bride of Frankenstein. Our neighbor suggested Beauty and the Beast. I guess that would work too.

I can say, without hesitation, that every day we have seen miracles. Tuesday was certainly no exception. While we looked at the MRI with the doctors, we were so grateful that the tumor had not entered key structures. It could have easily encircled my carotid arteries, that would have been fatal. It came close but between my carotids and the tumor there is a beautiful little layer of fat, a perfect surgical border (JoLynne says I have no fat, now I have proof). It could have grown up the foreman oval, a small tube leading to my brain. It came close but it didn't. As we looked at the MRI we could see a wonderful border all around the tumor. That makes us very happy and we feel SO blessed!

We had no idea how much this was all going to cost. That has been a big worry. Our insurance still hasn't agreed to pay anything. (we are working on that). Mayo wants a check for the whole amount before surgery starts. Yesterday they handed us the estimate and it was much less than we expected. We called our financial advisor to see what money we could get to quickly. He told us that he could liquidate our IRA's almost immediately without penalty because of the medical emergency and when he told us how much that would give us it was almost exactly the amount that Mayo had just told us that we would need a check for. I'm sorry but I just don't think that is a coincidence. Heavenly Father has been so good to us.

If by chance you should see someone swinging through the air on thin strands of silk (maybe dental floss) on Halloween don't be surprised. An extra toe, Bahh, don't these guys have any imagination!

8 comments:

  1. Uncle Eric, I'm so glad that Heavenly Father is hearing our prayers!! I love you so much and keep all the hope & faith in my heart strong and vibrant - Like You! You are one of the most amazing people I know *and my fave uncle* so keep your chin up and remember how much we love you here in SLC, Mesquite, and Idaho. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I am a part of the mesquite group. :) we check your updates daily. Technology is amazing these days. Candace put into writing exactly how our family feels. Our prayers have been with you and the rest of your/our family. Keep your chin up. Your an amazing uncle and I have been blessed to be able to call you that my whole life. We love you. Please give your sweet wife a hug from us. I know you both have been through a lot. Know are thoughts and prayers are with you. We love and miss you. <3 the Park family from Mesquite :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's very encouraging news. I appreciate the way you look for blessings, Spiderman. I'll miss you next week during my semi-annual checkup. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great news indeed! I have never been so happy to hear about a fatty layer. I suggest for Halloween that you go as the Elephant man. You can just put a paper sack over your head and shout "I am not an animal!"

    Too soon for that joke?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great news Eric. Per usual, continued good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bro. Vogel, this is Jarom's friend Rachel! Jarom just told me about your blog. I love your faith and sense of humor throughout this whole ordeal! My family and I are praying for you! Let us know if there's anything else we can do for your and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome home tonight. We have certainly missed you in the office. It's just not the same with our fearless leader gone. Sure love you, you and Jolynn are constantly in our thoughts and prayers. P and R

    ReplyDelete
  8. My wife and I have been reading your blog posts. You are in our thoughts and prayers. The link below is a hilarious BBC video about a monkey dentist. Enjoy.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxSs9Zw4FEI&feature=related

    ReplyDelete